December 13, 2016

Definitely my most negative blog post yet

Everyone says that while traveling, one learns much about the world and most importantly, oneself. They're right, but however glamorously masked that journey of self discovery may be, it seems that the most memorable lessons are those that teach you what you truly despise. I've been moving around for a while now, spending no more than 4 weeks in the same spot for the last 7 months, so I've had the chance to really get to know what really irks me.

First, about the world: This place is crazy. It is highly unpredictable and I cannot control everything. There is nothing I can do to keep the person I'm housesitting for from coming home a week early. There is nothing I can do to keep the man in La Paz from groping me (and don't you dare suggest I was asking for it). There is nothing I can do to stop the train workers' strike in London to get me to my plane in time. This lesson would be infinitely more inspiring if I believed in a God. I could tell myself, "He has a plan", and maybe I'd feel better about the chaos. I don't believe in a God, though, so each crummy thing that happens just humbles my heathen self. The chaos of the universe is what makes it interesting, right? 

Second, about myself: I am a control freak and not having the slightest authority over the outcome of the aforementioned situations drives me nuts.

"What's with this mardy blog post?", one might ask. Well, I just missed my flight from London to Dubai to see my family after 7 months of being away from them and I really just want to be in one place with my loved ones. Luckily, my parents are amazing and really good at making me feel like it's going to be okay. I'll be "home" with them in Abu Dhabi within the next 72 hours, hopefully... 

My mom sent me a message after our phone call that said, "Considering how many miles you've traveled in the past couple months, having this one glitch is pretty remarkable." How right she is. I am so privileged to be traveling. So lucky to have been safe this whole time. In the grand scheme of things, what is an extra night in London with one of my closest friends anyways? In the end, it is just another good thing to be thankful for. 

Thinking about the impact of my travel habits
on this quickly melting glacier in Iceland.

1 comment:

  1. Your Mom is 100% correct. One way to view inconveniences and setbacks is to ask yourself if you'll even remember them five years from now. If the answer is, "probably not," then just let your angst go and make the best of the moment!

    ReplyDelete